A process for core library fixes and improvements

Manipulating compiler-output with scripts works perfectly well - we could make a bunch of those in a Git-repo to support various browser APIs, fix issues, and make performance-improvements.

elm-optimize-level-2 sort of does this

I do this a lot instead of asking for work elsewhere :sunny:

2 Likes

By giving a direct access to JavaScript, you would lose the guarantees the Elm compiler offers (no runtime errors) and probably its ability to make a so aggressive tree shaking.

2 Likes

I’ve been a consumer of both Lua and SQLite. They both appear to follow these principles:

1. The core is under strict control of the author or author(s). Maybe they’ll look at pull requests, but it is largely the work of a single individual or a small set of individuals.

2. The core is “small”. For Lua, it’s just the language and the core libraries defined as part of the language standard. For SQLite, it’s the SQL implementation.

3. Bugs in releases are fixed very quickly in double-dot-releases. They generally stabilize out these bugs quickly but there have been occasional patches to older releases. Versions before a certain point are not patched, but anything expected to be potentially in use does get patched.

It seems like Elm matches up on 1. It is over expansive in the efforts about control on 2 though there is a pretty clear boundary that could be drawn about what is inside the scope of control/responsibility and what is not. On 3, this is clearly not the behavior since many bug fixes if they ever come also tend to come with significant language revisions. I feel that 1 is a healthy choice because it provides a clarity that committee driven processes often lack. It is, however, enabled for the community by 3 which is further enabled by 2.

4 Likes

Besides tooling, another reason not to fork more aggresively is the compiler and language itself. There is still work going on there by Evan, and the further away a fork gets from the original, the harder it becomes to pick up what he builds in the next version of Elm. That is why I advocate a Release Branch approach, at least until such time as everything that can be fixed in a release branch has been fixed. It would give us the opportunity to at least fix some stuff and get things moving. Its not possible to say exactly how much of that stuff might be able to carry forward into a newer version of Elm, but it seems likely at least some patches would carry over cleanly.

I don’t see a hurry to fork, there is plenty time. I did Java for 20 years, and now its becoming possible to make a living doing Elm, maybe I’ll be here for 20 years too. So I am enjoying this thread and listening to peoples points of view and spending some time thinking about possible directions and what is best for all.

1 Like

Just tiny opinion from Korea!
It seems like the writer of this post doesn’t content with the current Elm process. But I have different idea. In my opinion, current way is a great way to maintain Elm. I don’t want Wikipedia like system(Many people edit, so amount is huge, but quality isn’t reliable), I want Britannica like system(Fewer people edit, so amount is smaller, but quality is reliable). Of course, this way isn’t perfect match for “open source” but I hardly believe there is such a truly open source model.
And, I think Elm is the greatest language for reliable frontend coding even if there isn’t further updates for 2 years from now. Elm is already good. So, imprudently changing library implementation/adding features/adding syntax sugar will harm elm-way-clean-coding.

6 Likes

Of course nobody wants broken libraries, unfortunately it’s the case right now in some places.

Given the efforts that went into fixing them by really smart people from the community, along with documentation, benchmarks and testing, I find it harsh that you use the word “imprudently”.

Just my 2¢.

1 Like

I believe in staying very close to elm in semantics and implementation, so I like the actual idea of a release branch. Unfortunately I think the elm core team will still require a change of name and logo. In my humble opinion, when the name and logo changes, it is a fork. You can’t call it a release branch anymore.

So my two cents is that we should fork now, but make very minimal changes on the fork (with exactly the same minimalist / conservative attitude that one would adopt in a release branch, which Rupert has described). Somehow I think the elm core team will not like the idea of a release branch with the same name and logo as elm, but I would be happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.

I think most of us are agreed that we don’t want huge changes. Just the ability to make essential minimal changes in a timely fashion.

2 Likes

I’m sorry if I made you feel bad. I used the word “imprudently” to express thought that “just small changes could cause big problems”.
But, Elm’s philosophy is “A delightful language for reliable web applications.”. If Fix fits this philosophy, I think it is reflected quickly and if Fix doesn’t fits Elm’s philosophy it won’t be reflected. That is the reason why I love this language.

1 Like

You could kind of say that all Linux distros are releases of the upstream Linux kernel - I know its stretching the analogy with Elm a bit, but …

Each Linux distro has its own name, logo and identity. They all feed from a huge number of upstream projects and try to bring them together into a stable curated system. They all create opportunities to feedback patches to those upstream projects. Some have their own private repos and kernel patches (but must make those available as per the GPL) - RedHat Enterprise Linux being the obvious example.

Would put a different name and logo on it, but be completely open about the fact that it is actually Elm with a few modifications.

1 Like

I’m a bit of an outsider, but definitely interested in and appreciative of Elm. I wish I had more time to contribute. Here’s my two-cents worth.

Out of interest I looked at @evancz’s profile page and found his most recent post is:

He also provides some personal updates relating to the “silicon valley mindset” and the benefits of “physically moving to a region with different cultural norms”.

Evan concludes by saying he really appreciates the people who have been supportive of his present working style and priorities. And he mentions by name Mario, Dillon, Jeroen, and Luca.

As an inexperienced outsider, I’m reluctant to contribute further to the present discussion.

3 Likes

I went on a bit of a twitter rant about this recently, but I look a the bugs in the core libraries and I’m honestly quite impressed by how few of them there are that are actually critical and how many have straightforward workarounds - often just implementing a different function that checks inputs and short circuits in some way or otherwise behaves differently.

If I was looking to make the situation around bugs in the core libraries better (I think it’s fine, honestly) and I had the time to put in (which I definitely don’t) I would do something like this:

Look at the issues @rupert has collected (It’s a nice and thorough list). Anything that can be fixed with a wrapper function, or can otherwise be improved in pure Elm, put it in a library. Call it “elm-sandpaper” or something because it’s smoothing the rough edges. Also drop some elm-review rules in there that can disallow usage of the core version and suggest the sandpaper version instead. When you’re happy with the implementation, leave a little comment on the relevant issues saying “Hey there are workarounds for this and several other issues that you can find here…”

For things that affect kernel/JS code, JS transformation seems to have been broadly successful, so provide some tools for that, maybe piggyback off of elm-optimize. I’d put big warning labels on it to point out that if you use it to run Elm in places it’s not designed for like phones, electron, etc, there’s no guarantee of continued support.

For any significant doc issues, write some nice tutorials that point out important caveats to the docs. Brand them under the same “elm-sandpaper” project. It’s not the primary source, but most developers start with tutorials before API docs, and if these things are common knowledge in the community, people will easily find fixes, particularly if there’s a well-known set of folks providing those answers.

All this is not to say that I think folks shouldn’t fork the compiler if they want to. If that seems like a nice solution to you, or an interesting space to work in, go for it. To me, it looks like there are much simpler solutions available with far less overhead.

9 Likes

I am generally in agreement with what you conclude from the issue analysis work. There are not many surprises in it. Part of reason for doing it is to have some evidence to show that the situation is not so terribly bad as it stands. Another reason is to help put together a roadmap describing what is possible to fix without forking or breaking backwards compatability, and that there is a decent amount of work that should be done before we could justify a fork.

I think patching through elm-optimize-level-2 is a pretty gruesome idea. Especially if you consider that the only reason for doing it is because Elm has no bug fixing process that the community can engage with to get results.

By patching the core modules directly, those exact patches can be fed upstream and applied to the official versions. Comparing patched versions to the official ones can also be achieved with git diff (and elm diff for the APIs if you modified it a bit). The mapping between patches applied through JS transformation and those to the core modules is much harder to understand.

There are also examples of bugs that need additions to core APIs, as they cannot be done as user packages (only recorded this one in my sheet so far (^) can return 0.5 typed as an Int · Issue #960 · elm/core · GitHub, but I think there will be more). Those ones could not be fixed through JS transformation post-compilation, as the compiler would yield errors before you got that far. Actually, I think maybe 960 could be a user package, and use elm-review to prevent use of ^, as you suggest. But I feel pretty sure there are issues people want to fix with new APIs that need to be kernel packages.

JS transformation feels like a way of not dealing with the underlying issue of a broken process. Also why I am much more in favour of patching, as it is at least taking a step towards fixing that for all of us.

===

Another example of a fix that adds to the API but must be in the kernel package:

6 Likes

Yes fully agree, the community needs to have a way to allow Elm to be used in many more places, and an ability to fix clear bugs quickly. As long as it’s clear to everybody that Evan determines direction and language feature, and this is just smoothing things over, and allowing Elm to be used in more places.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.