Are SPA's particularly well suited to statically typed languages, compared to software systems in general?

I wonder if maybe this is the wrong approach for these kinds of discussions. In general it’s not terribly difficult to build any particular project with any particular language, framework, typing style, etc. Sure Elm may not be suited to servers or clis, but it can be done. To me the more interesting question is how that code base holds up 5 or 10 years down the road? Is it still easy to build? Is it still easy to onboard? Is it still easy to add features? This is where most programming tools don’t focus from what I’ve experienced.

So to maybe rephrase: Are SPAs, and other monolith projects, particularly well suited to statically typed languages compared to software systems in general? To which I would answer, it depends on the static type system but generally I’d say yes. The experience of an HM style type system combined with Elm’s custom types is substantially different experience from say writing Java despite them both being statically typed.

6 Likes