Can folks try out monorepos?

I think there has been some miscommunication here. There are two posts:

1. About Private Packages describes an easy path for people to use multiple repos without blocking other project or committing to rushed designs. @robin.heggelund started a project called GitHub - robinheghan/elm-git-install: A tool for installing private Elm packages from any git url. that explores this direction.
  2. This post is about exploring an alternate path. The hope is that maybe there is a way that is even simpler. I am encouraging people who are interested in this to explore this other direction.

One poster says “I have no interest in trying a monorepo.” That is okay. There’s a whole thread about exploring the multi-repo path. You posted in it. This thread is asking to hear from folks who use a monorepo. That is why I had a big heading called Goals that said the following:

In the time everyone spent posting in a thread that is not about them, they probably could have written the bash script needed for their multi-repo builds. But instead of writing that code, many people want to immediately push the work into elm without carefully considering the long-term implications. I would like to take a more conservative path. In developing this language, I have found it works well to explore many options before making choices with significant implications for maintenance, security, and simplicity. But this thread is not about us agreeing on any of those things. This thread is about hearing from people who use monorepos.

If you want a language that jumps into serious design choices, they exist out there. If you don’t like them, you should wonder if it’s because they jump into serious design choices.

9 Likes