Clients expressing doubt about choosing Elm

Hi everyone!

Heartwarming to see so many people caring about the future of Elm. :slight_smile:

I think a fork is a wonderful idea. As unintuitive as it may seem, I don’t think of a fork as a threat to Elm at all. The more choices are available, the better a fit is available to the individual, which is only good! As I see it, only positive things can come of it:

a) Either the fork is a great success and everyone uses it instead. Maybe Elm learns from it or become obsolete. Regardless, there has been progress and people are happier!
b) Or the fork doesn’t work out, and we will all have a greater understanding of why things are the way they are. Also good!

If some people have a different vision for the language than Evan, then they should absolutely have the freedom to unfold and work towards that vision, just as Evan has the freedom to unfold and work towards his vision. This is the reason we have such a diverse programming language landscape in the first place: Elm was initially inspired by Haskell, but wanted to explore different priorities/goals and here we are! Maybe another great language will come from a critique of Elm. The communities of course remain closely related, just as Elm is close with Haskell and JavaScript- just more harmonious because more people can choose to work the way they want, towards the goals they wish.

As others have noted too, of course it is a lot of working to keep such a fork alive, but I think it’s worth a shot! There are obviously some very prolific people who wish for things to be run differently, so I trust in their passion to shepherd the project along. All that posting energy could be turned into programming! I know Evan supports a fork, too! Just make sure to call it something else, so there is no confusion about what people are choosing. Maybe “Ash” would be a cool name? Or some other three-letter tree name? Worst case scenario, it could function as a community-lead “unstable” release, where independents do the work of keeping it up to date / merging in changes, which would be a nice compromise: Evan doesn’t have to do extra work, and everyone else gets the changes they want.

Again, I recognize everyone is coming from good place, and I’m grateful for your engagement!

22 Likes