Language proposal - Introduce "or" patterns

Indeed, and when I teach OCaml I find that students are surprised by this. Especially as beginners tend to give names to all their pattern holes and not just the ones that they are using: if there are not the same number of holes, then it doesn’t work. That being said, as an OCaml programmer, I wouldn’t mind this feature either, but it works best with the | syntax of OCaml.

I’ve never taught O’Caml, so this is interesting. Isn’t this then a nice way to nudge those beginners into not giving a name to the holes in their patterns that they aren’t using?

Speculative: I would hope it would reduce the instances of _ -> because it’s easier to list the remaining cases, thus meaning that updates to a custom type are more likely to produce a compiler error where appropriate.

I think this is very important - there is a big semantic difference between “everything else” and “everything else, currently”, and the lack of this syntax encourages people to do the wrong thing.

6 Likes

I would think so but I can’t say I’m sure it had this effect, other than on this particular instance where it was necessary.

1 Like

This makes the stuff in expr be evaluated even if it doesn’t need to, though. Sometimes that matters.

EDIT: the solution is, of course, to extract whatever is the definition of expr to a function, and call that.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.