News about the Elm Europe organizer [TW]

Policies being recommended include:

• "having someone responsible for actively and periodically checking that everyone feels safe”
  • “having a clear policy for exclusion with a security team”

Now imagine you are organizing an event. Imagine that someone reports that they were punched by another attendee. Or that someone threatened to punch them. It would make sense as an organizer to believe this report and to take action to keep everyone safe.

I hope this analogy helps certain readers understand the kind of policies that are being discussed.

Think through that analogy in your head. If you still want more discussion, I very strongly encourage you to read through Trauma and Recovery (PDF). The author is a clinical psychiatrist at Harvard who has spent her whole career studying trauma, “from domestic abuse to political terror”, and she describes the roles of belief/silence/etc better than is possible in an online forum.

Thank you @Warry for reminding people of the details of the specific case being discussed.

And I agree with @turboMaCk. Seeing the skeptical responses here has been a second major wake up call for me, and I know that it has been for others as well. And thank you to people strongly pushing back on such posts.

16 Likes