Revive deleted code of Elm packages

I wonder how much Patreon $$ commitments someone could get to sustain them in maintaining a maintenance fork. It’s hard to see a direct commercial sales case for it given the relatively small Elm user base, but maybe there are enough enthusiasts to get this launched, and then a virtuous cycle of increased uptake could kick in.

I don’t think $$ is what is needed. What is needed is people to realise it could be done and get on board with the idea, and to contribute some time to actually doing it.

6 Likes

I would like to join this Incremental Elm discord because I would like to contribute in as tiny little way as I presently can.

Now, a very basic question (sorry about that): when I accept the invite, it asks me to install the Discord app on my phone. I don’t want to do that. Is there an URL to access that discord in the browser, like I access this one?

1 Like

I think it’s more than just “people need to realise it could be done” – we’ve already seen that fail with elm-community, per the recent thread on Slack For long-term reliable maintenance of any project, there needs to be ongoing financial support so that maintenance can be someone’s day job – ideally many someones

2 Likes

I’m not sure about mobile as I’ve never tried to access Discord on a mobile browser. I know you can access it from the browser on a laptop or desktop.

1 Like

I agree with Rupert, a lot of people just don’t think it’s possible and write it off as “the core team just do it for me”. Conversely there are a handful of key tools that exist because someone went and did it without financial backing. The finances help, but aren’t what get the work done.

Hmm. Not sure I agree with that - I was all ready to set up a new maintainer for elm-css, and the new maintainer was all ready to get on with the work. Its not so much that it failed as that the rug was pulled from under our feet. All I really needed was someone to spend the 2 minutes required to set me up as an admin on elm-community, and I would have happily kept it going for the next decade and it would probably have only required a few hours work a year. That is an example of people NOT realising it can be done.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.