Transitioning from element to application

Many thanks for all the interesting replies and explanations, gratefully received.
It looks like elm-spa is the way to go… :slight_smile:
[Edit] …I’ve just discovered Elm Land: Ryan’s upgrade of elm-spa…

I’m very interested in this whole branch of the topic :slight_smile:
Model = Custom Type vs Model = Record.

In a previous question I asked, Is it inefficient to pass the whole model from function to function?

I think a relevant point from this discussion is that a complex structure like the model is passed by reference. So, whether the model is data for each page plus session data inside a record, or a custom type of one page at a time plus session data, there’s no efficiency gain or loss.

Which I think I am typically very likely to need.

Could we somehow use each page’s init to populate the ‘empty’ values?
Alternatively, might the record entry for each page be a Maybe?

I’m still finding my way around elm-spa, but it seems to solve this one by combining Carsten’s and Paul’s approaches — a custom type inside a record — plus auto-generation:
The underlying model is a record in .elm-spa/defaults/Main.elm

module Main exposing (main) 
import Gen.Pages as Pages 
type alias Model =
    { url : Url
    , key : Key
    , shared : Shared.Model
    , page : Pages.Model
    }

Pages.Model = Model.Model:

type Model
    = Redirecting_
    | Home_ Gen.Params.Home_.Params ()
    | NotFound Gen.Params.NotFound.Params

So each time a page is added (elm-spa add), a new option is added to the Model.Model.

Minor note on the Document body type

Even when writing raw html, I always use a ‘dummy’ div because it feels wrong to style the top-level body. And, in the case of the Document type, there is no mechanism to style the body:

• if it has three unstyled child divs, they sit one above the other
  • style them as float: left and they sit side by side
  • but if we want flexbox styling, we can’t style body as a flex parent. So, for example, everyone using elm-ui ends up with something like body = [ myElmUiBody ].

It’s like a painting studio that favours the painters of triptychs over those who just use a single canvas: every frame comes with a hinge, whether you need it or not :wink:

1 Like