Do you have an opinion/advice on functional backends technologies?

Indeed. For the moment my main devop tool is “dokku” (my needs are modest), which reduces maintenance quite a bit. Combined with load balancing, I found it quite optimal before having to bite the bullet and having to adopt kubernetes.

I’ll definitely keep your project in mind though!

@Brendan thanks for the detailed explanation. I don’t understand the details of course but I think I get the gist of it. Yesod 1.6 came out in 2018 if I’m not mistaken, but the book mentions being still a work in progress so I’m not sure I feel to good about that.

Thanks for bringing it up again. F# does seem to haven some very interesting features and tooling. The npm integration mentioned here is making me curious.

I think you’re right. I dabbled with rust a while ago, it’ll definitely require a bit of effort to understand the language fully and get productive. I also had a look at Diesel a couple of years ago or so, it didn’t really appeal to me at the time, I think due to the fact that it felt like straying too much from the actual SQL. I’ll take a look at sqlx. At a quick glance I’m puzzled at how the SQL type checking actually works. Good to know about Warp too thanks.

Thanks, I don’t think I would have found easily about this Haskell framework. Here’s a link to its guide if anyone’s interested: IHP Guide

Great feedback, I appreciate it. I understand that F# makes the same compromise than Clojure, letting object oriented stuff sneak in if necessary. Might not be a bad call, I could see the advantages. I’ll definitely try F#, it wasn’t on my radar at all.

1 Like