Elm file-reader API - elm-explorations candidate?

I should clarify. There’s no process for elm-explorations yet. That doesn’t mean there’s no process for making these proposals right now! Check out what Richard wrote yesterday, for example: Building Trust: What Has Worked

The best advice I’ve received on this subject was “pretend 0.19 is not happening.” This was amazingly helpful to unblock me mentally from shipping elm-benchmark 2.0.0. What if we did that here? What specific Elm API do you want to see? How would it be used? What gotchas will there be, and when would you expect to hit them?

From Richard’s post:

If you’re looking for a concrete first step to take, I’d always begin with trying to understand the whole problem. Not just part of it! Maybe you have one use case, but what are other Elm community members’ use cases? What are the relevant use cases people have in other communities outside Elm, which we ought to be aware of? Research these problems and use cases, and post your findings. Talk with people. Ask questions. Be patient!

You can write the proposal, sketch out an API, and start communicating these ideas now. If you don’t think now is the time for a full-blown File API, fine! Having opinions about quality and scope is an important part of writing any proposal. This might seem a little more complicated because there’s already code in your repo, but it’s not really. Treat it as a first step, not a last one.

2 Likes