How to pass values down the pipe sequence?

renderList2 : List Int -> Int -> Html msg
renderList2 lst limit =
  let 
    attrBool x = if x > limit then True else False 
  in 
    lst
        |> List.map (\i -> (String.fromInt i ++ ", "))
        |> List.map (span [classList [("numberRed", True)] ] << List.singleton << text)
        |> ul []

How do I pass the value of i to attrBool x so that the attrBool is True only when i > limit?

In this case, you can do a single List.map for the transformation to a string and the transformation to a span. If you do these two operations in the same function, then you keep access to i.
Here is what I mean in code:

renderList2 lst limit =
  let 
  in 
    lst
        |> List.map (\i -> span [classList [("numberRed", attrBool i)] ] [ text (String.fromInt i ++ ", ")])
        |> ul []
1 Like

You may know, but a tip if that is not the case… the if statement can also be done inline:

renderList2 lst limit =
    lst
        |> List.map (\i -> span [classList [("numberRed", i > limit )] ] [ text (String.fromInt i ++ ", ")])
        |> ul []
1 Like

Yes, thanks for that tip. I used it.

But what if I want the value i to propagate down the pipeline, is it even possible?

It is possible, but you would have to be explicit about it. Basically, at every step of the pipeline, you’d return something (like a tuple), that contains i and the value you actually want to work on. Here is an example using a tuple:

renderList2 lst limit =
  let 
  in 
    lst
        |> List.map (\i -> (i, String.fromInt i ++ ", ")) -- Return a tuple
        |> List.map (\(i, intAsText) -> -- Deconstructing the tuple
            span [classList [("numberRed", attrBool i)] ] [text intAsText]
        )
        |> ul []
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.