Json.Decode.Attempt, a package to fail loudly and gracefully

Hello!

I work at MackeyRMS, where we use Elm on our frontend. We have some code we have been using for the last 6 months called Json.Decode.Attempt, and just last week I published MackeyRMS/json-decode-attempt as an Elm package. I have had these thoughts about json decoding maturing in my head for the last few years, largely in reflection of the decoders I have had to write at work, and today I am really happy to share them with you all (the rest of this post is identical with what I wrote up for the package’s readme as well)

A spectrum of decode failures

If you have done any json decoding at all in Elm, then you know that json decoders can fail. Furthermore, your Elm program needs to know what to do when a json decoder fails. In some way or another that means using a fallback value instead. That fallback value can be anywhere on a spectrum of severity. The least severe response would a simple default value (like, if you cant decode a list, just use [] instead), and the most severe response being switching your entire Model into some failure mode (such as, if you cant decode a list, cancel everything and write “SORRY” across the screen in big letters). Both of these are fallbacks in the sense that we settle with our next-best user experience given the decode failure. The art of decoding seeming to be picking where along that spectrum of failure is the best user experience.

And figuring out the best spot on that spectrum depends quite a lot on what it is you are decoding. Consider this User type for example, which only has an id and a profile picture.

type alias User =
    { id : String
    , profilePic : String
    }

A profile picture failing to decode is probably on less severe side of the that fallback spectrum I mentioned above. We can fallback to a default profile picture and still provide 90% of the positive UX. Not getting a users profile picture is not a good outcome, but it is an outcome we can recover from. On the other hand, a user id failing to decode is much closer to a catastrophy, because without the id there are many fundamental things you cant do regarding that user (such as updating the user, or requesting more information about the user). There is no valid default value for a particular users id because if you fake the users id you are going to cause big problems elsewhere (like when you try and use a fake user id).

The bottom line is, just in terms of UX value, not all json decode failures are equal.

Now given that, consider this straightforward decoder for a User

decoder : Decoder User
decoder =
    Decode.map2 User
        (Decode.field "id" Decode.string)
        (Decode.field "profilePic" Decode.string)

Despite the id being much more mission critical than a profilePic they both can cause the entire Decoder User to fail in a big way. If either fails, the whole thing fails, and if the whole thing fails, we dont get either field. Failing to decode the profilePic is just as bad as failing to decode the id because both failures lead to not getting the id. Generalizing a bit; every additional field you want to decode increases the probability that at least one field will fail, which in turn increases the probability that all of them ultimately fail. Once your data grows to 7 or more fields in a record, decoders start to feel like ticking time bombs in your application.

Just fall back

There is an easy to solution to all this, which is to just fall back to default values where you can. Here is a User decoder where the profile picture falls back.

decoder : Decoder User
decoder =
    Decode.map2 User
        (Decode.field "id" Decode.string)
        (Decode.oneOf
            [ Decode.field "profilePic" Decode.string
            , Decode.succeed defaultProfilePic
            ]
        )

Easy. By falling back we have done a lot to reduce this field interdependency problem. If the profilePic field fails, it simply falls back to the default profile picture and we dont lose the id as well.

But there is a new problem: errors are silent

One thing I love about decode failures is that you get a Decoder.Error as an output. From your Decode.Error you can see exactly what went wrong and then fix it. In my own work, I try and route Decode.Error into a remote logging service so I know when my company’s customers experience these problems (after scrubbing the error of sensitive information).

One thing I dont like about using fallback values in decoders is that I lose the errors. Its a double edged sword. With a fallback value, the decoder technically doesnt fail, but it doesnt truly succeed either, so I lose the precious Decode.Error information. In the decoder above, I can never get a Decoder.Error pertaining to why the it failed to decode the profile picture, even though it did in fact fail.

Falling back silently tends to prolong the life time of these bugs because they go undetected. When the Decode.Error doesnt exist, the problem doesnt end up in my analytics pipeline. Without automated reporting, we only have next-best forms of error reporting such as rumors from someone that it “didnt work” for who knows why. Hopefully you get better user feedback that than that, but at least you can see that the odds of getting delayed and insufficient user feedback on these kinds of errors greatly increases when there isnt a Decode.Error to work with.

Decoding Loudly and Gracefully

With Elm decoders as they are, there is a trade off between graceful error handling and being able to observe errors at all. Either you can fail hard (bad) and loud (good), or you can fail gracefully (good) but quietly (bad), but you cant get the good of both (loud and graceful).

Here is where MackeyRMS/json-decode-attempt comes in.

import Json.Decode.Attempt as Attempt exposing (Attempt, Safely, Dangerously)
import Json.Decode as Decode

Attempt.decodeValueSafely : Attempt value Safely -> Decode.Value -> (value, List Decode.Error)

With this api, if you decode things in a 100% safe way where everything has a fallback, then its actually impossible for it to fail. The type signature reflects this; its not a Result Decode.Error value like with regular json decoding, its a (value, List Decode.Error), so you always always get the value. Furthermore, you get what you wanted without surpressing any errors. The api still returns a List Decode.Error representing- not just one- but every error it encountered along the way.

So how do you make one of these Attempt value safety anyway? Its just like the classic NoRedInk/json-decode-pipeline package.

type alias Image =
    { dataUrl : String
    , createdAt : Maybe Time.Posix
    }

userDecoder : Attempt Image Safely
userDecoder =
    Attempt.fromValue Image
        |> Attempt.try (Decode.field "dataUrl" Decode.string) dataMissingImage
        |> Attempt.try
            (Decode.field "createdAt" Decode.int
                |> Decode.map Time.millisToPosix
                |> Decode.map Just
            )
            Nothing

The Safely type is important. It is kind of like a promise that there is a fallback for every step and therefore the attempt cannot possibly fail. It therefore meets the type requirements to be decoded using Attempt.decodeValueSafely.

What about Dangerously?

type alias User =
    { id : String
    , profilePic : String
    }

userDecoder : Attempt User Dangerously
userDecoder =
    Attempt.fromValue User
        |> Attempt.risk (Decode.field "id" Decode.string)
        |> Attempt.try (Decode.field "profilePic" Decode.string) defaultProfilePic

There’s no one-size-fits all solution; you shouldnt always fallback. Failing to decode the users id is a big problem, and its better to simply fail in a big and loud way than doesnt even try and fallback. In the code above, this decoder uses Attempt.risk for the id, which contaminates the entire Attempt, transforming it from a Safely to a Dangerously. Now it is possible for the entire process to fail, and so you must use Attempt.decodeValueDangerously, and you must handle the case that one of these critical errors occur:

import Json.Decode as Decode

Attempt.decodeValueDangerously :
    Attempt value Dangerously
    -> Decode.Value
    -> Result Decode.Error ( value, List Decode.Error )

Now we have a Result Decode.Error .. again and you do have to handle an Err _ case for the big critical failures. But even here, we still have an advantage over regular json decoding. The Ok case contains all the minors errors we accumulated along the way.

32 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.