Check out Observable! Could Elm be used for this sort of thing?

https://observablehq.com/
An embeddable, live, reactive notebook for the browser.

Just heard of this tool, looks awesome! I think @evancz mentioned that something like a jupyter notebook would be great for Elm!

In the guides, they discuss many of the principles of functional programming. Do you think Elm could be suited for this sort of domain?

Short tangent,
In your own opinion, how does elm-visualization compare to D3.js? They are strictly different paradigms, the latter being highly procedural. What are the advantages of each?

3 Likes

You might find this talk interesting:

https://youtu.be/p8cHarclNnc

1 Like

That is definitely promising

1 Like

There’s also litvis, which allows you to embed literate elm in formatted markdown output (also see Alex Kachkaev’s talk on this at Elm-Europe 2018).

It also allows you to embed d3-like Vega in the same environment (via elm-vega).

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of Observable and also author of elm-visualization.

Do you think Elm could be suited for this sort of domain?

In the long term yes. But there is a long way to go before it can compete head to head with JS on what I would call explorative programming. The main Elm brings to the table for application programming is stability and maintainability. Those are less useful for building a notebook. Also in my experience for notebooks the Elm Architecture kind of gets in the way as most notebooks need to perform effects in various ways.

In your own opinion, how does elm-visualization compare to D3.js? They are strictly different paradigms, the latter being highly procedural. What are the advantages of each?

elm-visualization is highly inspired by D3. One thing to understand about D3 is that it is a whole bunch of libraries covering all sorts of things, many exist because at the time they were written there were no good solutions to these problems. So for example D3 has a notion of “selections” which exist to manage DOM mutation. In my opinion this is the trickiest part of D3 and the one that elm-visulization doesn’t have, since in Elm you have the virtual DOM which is a much easier abstraction.

On the other hand, most of the core bits of D3 that actually implement visualization algorithms are fairly functional in nature. They mostly follow the pattern of:

const fun = d3.makeFun(someConfig)
                   .setSomeMoreConfig(3);

const output = fun(input);

This is essentialy the Elm type of:

fun : Config -> Input -> Output

except it allows you to mutate the config after it has been partially applied.

So in essence elm-visualization and D3 are quite similar - one is in Elm and omits a lot of the legacy cruft (and a lot of useful features too as I haven’t had time to implement everything I’d like!) the other in JS and is somewhat tied to its own specific DOM management system).

7 Likes

@gampleman, do you see elm-visualization heading in this direction, or do you see another solution emerging that better takes advantage of elm’s strengths?

What direction?

In the direction of interactive notebooks. Essentially, Im asking what your vision for your package is.

Something not yet mentioned is Elm Markup. This might help with the „Notrbook“ side of things.

1 Like

Here is the talk about elm-markup: https://youtu.be/8Zd3ocr9Di8

Personally that’s not something I’ve looked into too much. I believe that’s where elm-vega is going as has been mentioned above in this thread.

That live demo looked very cool!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.