ElmLove: first edition

:wave:Hi!

In the Wikimedia communities, where we deal with people from many different places with all kinds of backgrounds on all kinds of issues, we have something we call WikiLove.

The whole concept is worth a read if you have a minute, but I want to focus on one of the key components:

• Remember that your fellow editors are not part of your operating system, or ā€˜genies in a lampā€™, etc., everyone likes to feel appreciated. When making a comment, itā€™s often good to start with a thank you or something positive when there is a reason for it, and maybe end with a thank you if making a request.

Every once in a while we do sessions online or in person, where we share positive comments and gratitude about people, projects, or anything else.

It is important to explicitly do these, because complaints are what usually surfaces and is most visible, and they tend to drown the positivity and praise that most people feel.

So, here is an explicit chance to chime in with a comment and express your gratitude publicly to appreciate people, software, or anything else you want.

elm

44 Likes

Iā€™ll kickstart it:

Thank you @evancz for your work and commitment to the language, good documentation, performance, and good design overall. What you are building is amazing and inspiring.

Thank you @avh4 for elm-format , if the Elm compiler is an assistant, elm-format is another one that I couldnā€™t live without. And also thank you for your live streams and videos, they were lots of fun to watch and learn.

23 Likes

Thank you @mdgriffith for changing the way I think about layout and styling. I miss it every moment Iā€™m not writing Elm.

Thank you @evancz for such beautiful error messages, and to everyone who contributed to getting them to where they are today.

18 Likes

Thank you @evancz and the core team for Elm. Iā€™ve learned so much as a programmer because of its thoughtful design. Itā€™s a joy to use in way that I havenā€™t found replicated in any other language Iā€™ve used.

Thank you @ilias for elm-json and for help on the Elm slack that helped me get started with Elm.

Thank you @alexkorban, @dillonkearns, @rtfeldman, @supermario, @mdgriffith and @jfmengels (among others that Iā€™m sorry to not remember and recognize here) for pushing the boundaries of what is possible with Elm and finding new patterns on how to improve code.

19 Likes

Thank you @evancz for making such a awesome poorgaming language. I have never done functional programming before I learned Elm, and Elm was very easy to learn. It is a very fun to program in Elm.

Thank you @mdgriffith for making elm-ui. It is an essential part of the Elm experience.

Thank you @joakin for doong this

11 Likes

Thank you to all these people:

@evancz for creating Elm and providing inspiration to others (Rust, Redux, Hyperapp etc.)
@mdgriffith for elm-ui which, to me, is the most amazing Elm package of all
@razze for elm-language-server and Elm support in VS Code
@rtfeldman for elm-test, elm-css, elm-json-decode-pipeline
@brian for all the community work that is often behind the scenes
@avh4 for elm-format and many other cool projects
@dmy for many contributions that make Elm easier to use, such as 0.18 package search
@robin.heggelund for making Elm faster
@ianmackenzie for amazing packages
@dillonkearns for many great packages and engagement with the community

I can only mention 10 people in a post so I have to stop here. This isnā€™t an exhaustive list of people or contributions! There are many others.

20 Likes

Thank you @ilias, @jessta, noah, and @joelq for helping me learn the basics in the elm slack when I was first learning. I appreciate your patience, kindness, and great explanations.

Thank you splodingsocks, @rtfeldman, @jtomchak, and @kevinyank for your talks and podcasts exploring elm and the ways to leverage its strengths in performance, structure, and culture. This section could be filled with everyone who has ever been on an elm podcast, or written a blog, or published a book. Thank you all!

Thank you to folks like @ianmackenzie, @miniBill, and mgold, for your packages that are exactly what Iā€™m looking for, work exactly how Iā€™d want them to, and are already there waiting for you to elm install. Everyone who has made an elm package, Your work has helped make the life of us in the elm community much easier. Thank you!

Thank you @dillonkearns and @evancz for your amazing vision and disciplined work. I know you both must get asked, ā€œwhy donā€™t you justā€¦ā€ constantly from folks who donā€™t quite understand what youā€™re trying to do. When Iā€™ve questioned your work previously, I was met with friendly error messages, slack messages, or presentations, which explain in easy to understand terms the rationale behind your design choices.
The extents you two go to make your work and philosophies accessible and widely useful is inspiring. Thank you both. Your code has opened up possibilities for me, your ideas have made me a better coder, and the way you maintain your work has made me a considerate person.

Thank you all!

16 Likes

Iā€™m really greatful for @dillonkearns elm-graphql project - itā€™s VERY cool :blush:

That, along with the core team, for their uncomprimising vision!

9 Likes

@joelq Thank you for your very informative talks. They helped me a lot understanding basic concepts with Maybes, Random and Custom Types !

8 Likes

Elm was my first contact with functional programming and I am loving since I started using it. I wanna thank @evancz for making and maintaining Elm and for having the courage to do things differently. Learning Elm made me a better developer and also brought me a lot of joy at work.

I wanna thank @rtfeldman for his sharing his excitement in talks and in discussions. Especially his ā€œMaking impossible state impossibleā€ talk, which really influenced me when I first watched it. It still does every time I design a new type in an Elm app.

I wanna thank @avh4 for elm-format, @ilias for lots of great advice I have received directly or indirectly on slack. @robin.heggelund for cool improvements around Elm, @razze for the Elm LS which I use every day.

To my last two employers, who both finally gave in to my nagging about wanting to use Elm at work. It brought me great joy and Iā€™ll make sure you wonā€™t regret that.

Lastly, thanks for all the great people in the community and everyone I didnā€™t mention explicitly, especially those who interact with me basically on a daily basis. I appreciate you.

16 Likes

I want to thank you @rtfeldman for the brilliant presentations on Youtube some years ago (recent ones are also brilliant) that made me realize that there is actually a lot better alternatives than React out there ( I loved React at that time, but I would never ever dream of doing anything in React now after experiencing how short it comes compared to Elm ). You made me want to start using Elm and I am so glad I did!

Thank you @evancz for this amazing project and for keeping it so pure + making sure the core libraries fits so nice together. That would not be possible if the work was distributed to loads of people. The guides and presentations is always so well written. You are an inspiration for me.
I also want to thank @evancz for the amazing Parser library wich makes me suddenly confident to parse any files, and totally rethink how parsers should work, it has open so many doors for me.

Elm-UI by @mdgriffith !! This library is so amazing and a reason alone to use Elm. It enables me to be so much more productive in everything I put on a screen. And things just line up as they should (not a case when I was using CSS). There is no need for any CSS framework because it is so easy to make whatever you need on the fly. I cannot bare the thought of going back to regular Html and CSS now when I know elm-ui exists. Just like I cannot go back to writing React from Elm.

I also want to thank @avh4 for the amazing elm-format. I am one of your superhappy silent users. Keep up you great judgement on formatting :slight_smile:

Thank you @halfzebra for create-elm-app ! I use it for all my projects. I really like that i can use it also in full production for really complicated applications that uses service workers, webworkers, npm libraries and local dev proxies all without ejecting.

Recently I have aslo been using the vsCode elm extensionn by @razze all day long. It is already great and seems to get better over time. I really like it!

13 Likes

Thank you so much @luke and now @tbash for Ellie.

This tool has revolutionized the way to help people, share examples or collaborate on issues in the Elm community. It is also a great source of real use cases of custom elements (particularly CodeMirror).

12 Likes

Thank you, @evancz, for making Elm so much more approachable for newcomers than its more academically-minded pure-functional relatives. I was brought up in a Lispy world, but where ML and Haskell bounced off of my forehead, Elm has stuck. I am deeply impressed with the quality of the Elm guide generally, and especially its complete lack of academic terminology. I am equally impressed with the precision and helpfulness of the Elm compiler messages. Finally, I am impressed with how deeply you have thought about, and how eloquently you have spoken about, the way in which you are continuing to evolve Elm, and the ā€œhard parts of open sourceā€ as it relates to your approach. Thank you.

(Additional shout-outs for general excellence for elm-format, Ellie, and elm-ui; and also for the culture and quality of the Elm Slack. And @joakin, this is an awesome thread. Thank you to everybody!)

6 Likes

Also, thanks to @evancz and @rtfeldman for several of the absolute best videos about programming and the social environment around programming.

5 Likes

@evancz for this beautiful language
@rtfeldman for all the great talks that somehow become defacto references
@halohalospecial for the best elm editor plugin elmjutsu the only reason Iā€™m using Atom now
@harmboschloo for the excellent and underrated graphql-to-elm which maps exactly to how I want to do GraphQL
@supermario for lamdera and the mind expanding discussion and sharing :bowing_man:ā€ā™‚
@charliek for the Advanced Types in Elm series
@yang-wei and commenters in https://gist.github.com/yang-wei/4f563fbf81ff843e8b1e really helpful when I was learning Elm
@joelq for absolutely everything in https://thoughtbot.com/blog/tags/elm
@Warry @jinjor and @evancz for patience and thoughtful feedback

12 Likes

Thanks to NoRedInk for having the foresight to take @evancz and Elm ā€˜in-houseā€™. Iā€™m guessing Elm might not be where it is today if you hadnā€™t provided @evancz with the time and resources to focus fully on Elm.

Thanks to @evancz for such a great language, and for sticking to your principles for where you want Elm to go. I do like the slow, carefully thought-out release cycles, knowing that when a new release arrives thereā€™s good reason for it, and itā€™s stable.

Thanks to the rest of the core team, Iā€™m sure you do a lot in the background that we donā€™t get to hear about.

Thanks to @mdgriffith for Elm-UI and now Elm-Animator - they have become the first packages I install when starting a project.

Thanks to @rtfeldman for the great talks on youtube. Your enthusiasm is infectious and is what prompted me to try Elm in the first place. Iā€™ve got your book on MEAP, so Iā€™ll be going through it sometime soon to see what new nuggets I can learn.

Thanks to the whole Elm community here on Discourse, all so friendly and helpful. For someone like me with no techie friends/colleagues to bounce things off, itā€™s nice to know I can come here when I need to.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me when I needed it.

I never really enjoyed front end ā€˜stuffā€™, always preferred server-side with Ruby and Elixir, but, for a long time now a day hasnā€™t gone by that I havenā€™t written some Elm code. Iā€™d probably get withdrawal symptoms if I took a break from Elm :grinning:.

12 Likes

Forgot all the great tooling:

Thanks to @razze for LSP-elm.

Thanks to everyone involved with authoring/maintaining elm-test.

Thanks to @dmy for elm-doc-preview

Thanks to @avh4 for elm-format

Thanks to @stoeffel for elm-verify-examples

5 Likes

Big thanks to @wking-io, for elm-live -which is my dev server of choice and makes my life easier- and for the podcast :ok_hand::orange_heart:

6 Likes

What a wonderful idea! I feel the love. :hugs:

Thank you all for being such a great group of people! Much love right back to the whole Elm community. :heart:

19 Likes

Just want to hop on and share my thanks as well. Since the ā€œearly daysā€ (for me at least) of 0.15, it has been an amazing journey. Elm was my first introduction to a functional language having ā€œgrown upā€ with imperative and object-oriented languages. It really took a mind-shift for me to think functionally, but once I did, wow, Iā€™m so happy.

There have been many over the last years who have helped me through learning curves, concepts, design, and simply making things workā€¦ too many to list here. Others here have mentioned many (if not all) who would be on that list.

Let me just say a huge Thank You! to everyone in this community who have contributed and responded and just been a support by showing up; even the little contributions have made a big difference.

Hereā€™s to the future of Elm and a vibrant, welcoming, helpful, gracious community.

(OK - I do have to call out @evancz without whom I would be trying to imagine I was happy with some other web tech stack :wink: )

7 Likes