ElmLove: first edition

My turn!

Thank you @evancz for building Elm. I have had a lot of fun using it ever since I discovered it.
Thank you for being all your excellent design work, and having a long-term vision for the language and sticking to it even when confronted with adversity and critique. Those design decisions are what made working on elm-review so enjoyable, both for writing the tool and as Elm the analysis target.
I now breathe Elm in my spare-time, try to get in front of people talking about Elm, look for Elm jobs and get hired and paid for writing Elm. The impact you have had on my day-to-day life has been meaningful.

Thank you @rtfeldman for giving so many great talks on Elm and inspiring me and others to use it. Watching some of your talks were also a great way to prepare internal company pitches to use Elm (successfully too!). Also, thank you for pushing me a ā€œbitā€ further with my work on elm-review by telling me ā€œthe author is responsible for the user experienceā€. That sentence alone added 2 more months of work for the initial release, but the result has definitely been worth it. And that mantra is now ingrained in my OSS work.

Thank you @dillonkearns for all your time and great feedback on my work, and for wanting me to do podcasts and live streams with you. Itā€™s an honor and a great deal of fun!

Thank you to the people who help beginners on Slack and help make Elm feel like a warm community. Many help out with that, but Iā€™d like to give a specific shout-out to @jessta, @pd-andy and @joelq for being there so often, for the quality of the help you give and for your so hard-to-beat typing speed.

Thanks a lot to the people who work on the tooling, especially to @avh4 for elm-format, @ilias for elm-json and elm-xref, @stil4m for Elm Analyse and elm-syntax, and @dmy for elm-doc-preview. All of which are immensely useful and/or an inspiration for my projects.

Thank you all, and thanks to all the others I didnā€™t mention (Iā€™ll blame the limit of 10 mentions) who make this community one I enjoy so much :heart:

12 Likes

Thank you to @rtfeldman for writing such an accessible book ā€œElm in Actionā€ and all three Frontend Masters courses. I doubt thereā€™s any active Elm community in the whole of Africa, and iā€™ve personally never heard of a meetup in any of the dev communities across Africa, but thanks to these amazing resources, we have a handful of developers learning and building in Elm.
Thanks to @jfairbank and @alexkorban for their amazing resources too.
@evancz thank you for your impressive resolve and fortitude in the face of constant barrage, and your commitment to building such an impressive language.
Thanks to the folks at Elm Town. Your podcasts are amazing
@dillonkearns I donā€™t think i have enough words for the staggering amount of work youā€™re putting in. A big thank you
And to a larger extent, everyone in the community doing their little bits to make this beautiful language accessible worldwide. Thank you all.

5 Likes

Thank you @evancz for creating a language that is a joy to work with: elegant, expressive, and powerful despite its simplicity (which is in fact a great virtue). And thank you for that suggestion: ā€œmaybe look at elm/parser-tools.ā€ It changed everything for me.

(PS. I think Elm is revolutionary)

Thank you @ilias for helping me over my many first stumbles with elm/parser-tools, and for suggestions about optimizations that transformed one app from painfully slow to blazingly fast.

Thank you @luke for Ellie and for quickly getting me out of what looked like a fatal dead-end on my main project.

Thank you @rtfeldman for inspirational and insightful talks, good advice, and for being such an outstanding advocate for Elm ā€¦ oh! and for your book!!

Thank you @mdgriffith for elm-ui which I use every day.

There are so many more that have helped me in ways small and large ā€¦ please forgive me for not listing you all here. You are part of an open, friendly, supportive community that welcomes newcomers and helps them get started and to keep going. And so thank you, thank you to the community at large.

13 Likes

THANK YOUā€¦
@evancz for getting to the crux of FP & for such a brilliant language/community
@mdgriffith for the most enjoyable layout framework ever!!!
@dillonkearns for a fantastic elm-graphql lib we have been relying on
@rtfeldman for great talks, valuable community engagements & some super useful libs
@ianmackenzie for solving so many problems
@supermario for Lamdera
@luke for the fantastic talk shedding light on working with web components
@terezka for an inspiring talk on parsing in Elm; we care!
@avh4 for elm-format (what a time saver)
@halfzebra for create-elm-app - makes it so easy to get started for beginners
Kris for RemoteData
ā€¦the list goes on :black_heart:

10 Likes

Thank you @klazuka and AJ Alt for the IntelliJ Elm plugin! :heart:

4 Likes

Hey @joakin! I think this is a great idea! Itā€™s so important to say thank you:

Open source communities are like precious delicate jewels. A little tick and they can just shatter. Itā€™s made of people, people. We write the code, we support it, we use it, we document it. Releasing code is a very personal thing. Youā€™re showing people, hereā€™s how I think, hereā€™s how I work, hereā€™s how my brain is organized. And if itā€™s not a healthy place to do that, people arenā€™t going to be free to express themselves through the code that they release. - Limor Fried (on command-line-heros 18:22)

Thank you for all your contributions, I much appreciate them! Thank youā€¦

@evancz for elm, your talks, your blog posts and everything else you do for this awesome language!
@mic for organizing the elm vienna meetup with me
@tibastral (and all others who helped) for organzing elm europe 2019
@razze for elm lsp
@dillonkearns for elm graphql, talks, blog posts, podcasts
@avh4 for elm format
@mdgriffith for elm-ui
@wking-io for the implementing elm podcast
@kevinyank for elm town
@ rtfeldman for his many contributions to elm (packages, blog posts, talks, and so much more)
@ luke and @ tbash for ellie
@ RyanNHG for elm spa
@ noredink and @ bekk for their investment in elm

And thanks to all the very supporting people on this forum and on slack!

11 Likes

Thanks to the community, @mweiss, @rtfeldman, @alexkorban, @avh4, @klazuka, @mdgriffith, all of you!

But first and foremost, @evancz, thank you for holding your ground!

6 Likes

I am an occasional (not professional) programmer and the Elm community is the place I wish to stay forever. Thank you @evancz and the core team for your thoughtful approach to language features because when I canā€™t code for a few weeks (or months), the language doesnā€™t leave me behind. Thank you to the friendly and nurturing community because you make it OK to be a perpetual novice. Thank you Elm programmers for agreeing on conventions like TEA and elm-format so that noobs like me are not paralyzed by the paradox of choice. Thank you authors, speakers, and podcasters. (I think I have bought every Elm book, subscribed to every Elm podcast, and watched every Elm talk and I know that my wife recognizes @rtfeldmanā€™s voice with her eyes closed.) Speaking of voices, thank you for an inclusive atmosphere where we hear voices like @glitteringkatie, @terezka, Tessa Kelly, Emma Cunningham, and @noahzgordon. I donā€™t think my reply was as concise as possible, but I hope that youā€™ll forgive me.

9 Likes

I mulled over this for a bit, trying to nail whatā€™s really important to me, and what it is I actually love about Elm. And what keeps me coming back is how readable the code is. Both the lack of sigils, keywords, and so on, strong compile guarantees, and low number of features to be aware of, but also the tooling for formatting and navigating the code; they all add up to make (most) code very easy to read and reason about, and this always brings a sigh of relief to my grey matter after Iā€™ve been reading code in different languages.

So thank you very much to @evancz, @avh4, and @klazuka (amongst others) for a combination of language and tooling that makes reading code so pleasant :blush:

7 Likes

I nod my head to every one listed so far. This community is great and there are a lot of great minds at work here. Instead of repeating what everyone else has said before, I would like to give a toast to the - in my mind - best package authors in our community:

@mdgriffith for mdgriffith/elm-ui.
@avh4 for avh4/elm-color.
@arowM for arowM/elm-form-decoder
@turboMaCk for turboMaCk/any-dict, turboMaCk/any-set and turboMaCk/queue
@ianmackenzie for ianmackenzie/elm-geometry and ianmackenzie/elm-geometry-svg

And for the best package of them all

@evancz for elm/core

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.