Hackathon – Call for projects

Hello all,

We are organizing a hackathon in Paris at the beginning of October, and we’ll hack together on some open source projects.

I’m opening this thread to know if you know or maintain some Elm projects that have some functionalities or PR that need to be developed :slight_smile:

Ideally, we’re searching for things of various difficulties and pretty concrete to fit newcomers as well as experienced developers.

Link (in french): https://opencollective.com/elm-france/events/hackathon-elm-france-50136ev

Do you have some projects in mind?

Thanks!

7 Likes

Hi There, I write an application that shows a league table for sporting events (I organise a canoe polo league, and we use it for that).

It’s mostly elm, it talks to the Google Sheets Api, uses a Netlify Function / AWS Lambda and uses Cypress for the end to end tests, so is hopefully interesting enough.

I’m not exactly sure what level of complexity you are looking for, but I think this issue is probably difficult enough to be interesting, but easy enough that it won’t take too long.

Give me a shout if you would like to discuss.

Cheers

Cedd

I would be very grateful for anything you can contribute to any of elm-toolings projects https://github.com/elm-tooling?type=source

The tree sitter implementation could also benefit from some more eyes.

But beware, most of those are not implemented in elm.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll have a look! This seems like a relatively simple issue to tackle, do you have other issues that we could also look at? If we can avoid to switch code bases it’s better :slight_smile:

Unfortunately the goal is to make participants practice Elm, so we look for projects written in Elm, thanks anyway! :slight_smile:

Hi there, as with most software projects there is an almost unlimited amount of work!

Try these.

Create administrator page

Support display of penalty cards

Add a team page

Support notes

There are a couple of other things as well, but I imagine this would keep you more than busy :slight_smile:

Cheers, Cedd

By the way, it is Hacktoberfest 2019 this month. So I looked at elm projects labelled with hacktoberfest and there are only 7 of these as of today. One of these is from this year: Solve Exercism.io Exercises Using Functional Languages.

Usually there are also the “good first issue” issues that are suitable for this kind of exercise. Here is a link to the 51 elm issues labelled this way on Github.

There a bunch of properties remaining in the phantom-types upgrade for elm-css: https://github.com/rtfeldman/elm-css/issues/392

Hello @jgrenat, that sounds like fun!

I just published a new extensible markdown parser library (check out the README for a description of some of the features that make it unique)

I created a ticket with a “good first issue” tag, in case anybody wants to play around with the elm/parser library. It’s really fun, but the markdown spec is huge so I would welcome some contributions here!

Hopefully this library is a good place to contribute because it is set up with some nice unit tests and an end-to-end test suite that runs all of the examples from the Github-flavored markdown spec page (1400 tests in all!). So the Travis build will tell you if you introduce any new regressions when you create a pull request. Feel free to ping me on Slack if you end up hacking on it!

Also, you can see all of the current failures in the Github-flavored markdown test suite here. It includes the expected and actual output, and the markdown input that caused it, so it’s pretty useful for just finding something else to hack on in the project.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.