How do I pass SVG through port?

Hi,

I’m trying to use MathJax to convert a String (with valid TeX code) into a data structure I can attach event handlers / change the attributes of. In theory this should be easy, given that MathJax has a function MathJax.tex2svg which does exactly that. The only issue is that the output is in JS. The following code will render nicely formatted maths to the screen

let svg = MathJax.tex2svg(texString, { em: 12, ex: 6, display: false });
document.body.appendChild(svg);
let mathJaxStyleSheet = MathJax.svgStylesheet();
document.head.appendChild(mathJaxStyleSheet);

And will even work if, instead of using svg, I use a new div with only the innerHTML of said div set to the innerHTML of svg.

From my understanding, this should mean that sending the innerHTML through a port to Elm then using SvgParser.parse successfully should render properly no? But instead I get

When it should look like a well typeset 2π.

Thanks for reading- any and all criticism/advice is welcome!

You might find this page helpful-
https://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/web/typeset.html#converting-a-math-string-to-other-formats

Found the issue- the output SVG text was using the deprecated xlink:href instead of href. Removing that makes it work. Confusing as to why it works at all through JS though.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.