How was the Elm goto; talk?

Every Project has its quirks here and there. And I think it is not about attracting people, rather then to create something different. I’d say just accept that as how it is, and it’ll go fine. There is no benefit/point in mentioning these things all the time and not being constructive about it. It just piles up as saltiness.

4 Likes

Thank you for saying so @eimfach, although I do think it is about attracting people—it’s important to do so for the long term on the basis of being the most ergonomic, well-designed, and technically superior language. At the current stage, this as all thanks to Evan’s research project approach, but bear in mind that this is only a temporary stage as he has laid out as clearly as he can manage to do through talks and writing.

I experience the same anxiety and desire for updates as everyone else, but my desire for the project to succeed isn’t so short-sighted to demand that the person who put in the investigation, the analysis, the vision, and the hundreds (thousands?) of hours of work to make it what it is just abandon his process and personal boundaries to fulfil my short-term wants. Let’s just take a gamble and see if what gets released was worth the wait, shall we? I know where I’m putting my money.

The same could be said for every other platform, but that seems a bit silly when the talk itself was not announced here. I hope we can just try to sympathize with his position.

Yes, it has been said through his writing and other talks as well. Maybe it was implicit in the GOTO description, but I feel like the desire for more info can morph into having a kind of hurtful attitude that I hope we can try to keep in check. From his private git activity, he is very active and from what has come out about this talk it’s clear that we will get something soon, and I think we should try to understand rather than demand demand demand (as much as even I have done or been tempted to do).

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.