Let's contribute a little towards maplibre interop

There was someone interested in having the elm mapbox wrapper library support maplibre. There also was some work on the elm mapbox library in 2019. I am going to try dust off my Elm skills and experiment with the elm mapbox library in this thread, as I get spare time.

Here is the last thread that I could find: What good libraries are for maps handling.

I am going to try working through the existing elm mapbox library example instructions first. I will post replies to this thread as I work through it.

I am primarily a backend developer, who has worked in FP languages in the past. I like graph algorithms, geospatial systems, and various applied algorithm topics. I am new to leaflet and mapbox / maplibre.

If I get very far with this thread, it would be nice if I can collaborate with others to document how to get maptiler layers + local postgis/tegola layers + maplibre + elm mapbox library up and running. We’ll see how far it goes. I am up for using codeberg or gitlab (or maybe GitHub if others strongly prefer that) and this forum to collaborate. I am also up for chatting synchronously with people on a matrix channel, if anybody expresses interest.

6 Likes

Example01.elm worked for me. I updated the elm-version to 0.19.1. I added “gampleman/elm-mapbox” as an elm dependency. I hardcoded the Mapbox token to use my token. I updated the index.js to reference Example01 instead of Example02. I ended up with the following newer npm deps:

"devDependencies": {
    "elm": "^0.19.1-5",
    "elm-hot": "^1.1.6",
    "node-elm-compiler": "^5.0.6",
    "parcel-bundler": "^1.12.5"
  },
  "dependencies": {
    "elm-mapbox": "^4.1.0",
    "mapbox-gl": "^1.0.0"
  }

I am going to try building Example01 directly with the library source code, instead of referencing elm-mapbox as a published dependency. Once I figure that out, I will try the generic web instructions for swapping in maplibre.

I am also interested in collaborating on this: For the moment we are using maplibre with maptiler outside of Elm. I would like to join the proposed matrix channel.

1 Like

I have never created a matrix room before, but here is my attempt: https://matrix.to/#/#elm-maplibre:matrix.org

I am juggling golang training, interviews, and this, so I will be sporadically returning to this thread and chatting in the channel. If anybody feels a burst of inspiration to make progress at a certain moment, I can pause my other tasks and focus on this synchronously with people on the channel or here, just send a message here or on the channel with a day and time (+timezone).

Also note that there is a dedicated #maps channel on Slack for this sort of thing.

Thanks! I am actively choosing matrix/zulip/discourse when possible, to stay closer to open source. I usually only use slack when my work forces me to.

For sure. I was more pointing this out since the slack channel is a few years old and has about a 100 people on it presumably at least somewhat interested in maps. So might be a good place to reach them if you want feedback, help or just users.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.