Null reference error in Internet Explorer

Somewhat randomly, Elm onClick events stop working in Internet Explorer. (Only concerned with latest IE 11. No need to support older browsers.)

We never had this problem before upgrading to Elm 0.19.

The IE console gets the following error:
SCRIPT5007: Unable to get property 'j' of undefined or null reference Main.elm (3524,1)

This points to the line while (tagger = currentEventNode.j) inside the function function _VirtualDom_makeCallback(eventNode, initialHandler)

Is this a known issue? Is there an easy workaround?

Once it starts getting the error, any onClick event produces the error and the whole app basically stops working. This is a major show-stopping bug for us.

A workaround I’ve used before to deal with a somewhat different situation was to add a script to my build-step that patches the javascript from the Elm compiler before minification.

This is obviously only until its officially patched in virtual dom

If you can create a minimal examle in ellie that crashes on ie11, I try to fix it and send you back an example where I patch the issue :sunny:

Well, it appears ellie doesn’t support IE. I can’t say I blame them. It’s a horrible pain.

I’ll see if I can come up with a minimal example and post to GitHub

1 Like

The workaround here seems to have fixed the problem.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.