Packaging Con - Call for presentations about package management

Hey all,

I am helping out to organize Packaging Con, a cross-ecosystem discussion forum for package managers. Several communities such as Anaconda and Julia are already quite strongly represented and it would be nice if we could get a lot of functional programming related registrations and submissions as well.

This is a great place to share experience with the Elm ecosystem’s approach and exchange beyond the usual community boundaries! So don’t hesitate to submit a talk.

Here is a summary of important dates and topics from the website:

Important Dates

• Submissions open: 20 July 2021
  • Submissions close: 31 August 2021
  • Notifications: 13 September 2021
  • Conference date: 9 & 10 November 2021

Submissions are due at 23:59 ``anywhere on Earth’’ on the specified date. Specifically, this is 23:59 IDLW, i.e., UTC–12:00. You can use this converter to figure out the deadline for your time zone.

Topics

We encourage submissions in a wide range of areas related to package management, including but not limited to:

• Deep dives on particular packaging systems.
  • Package management vs dependency management
  • Issues between distro-provided and developer/language-specific package managers
  • Software supply chains, pipelines, and vulnerabilities
  • CI for package managers and how to scale it
  • Modeling software ecosystems in package managers
  • Modeling compatibility (semver, API/ABI analysis, etc.)
  • Versioning
  • Software release methodology: rolling / LTS / others
  • Monorepos and package management
  • Reproducibility in package managers
  • Functional package management, how it relates to other systems
  • Reliability/robustness of software ecosystems
  • Dependency solving: modeling, methods, and scalability

This list is by no means exhaustive – any topic related to package management is welcome to attend.

How to submit

The presentation length is 20 minutes with 10 minutes for Q&A right after the talk. All talks will be held live via video chat and are recorded (speakers can opt-out of the recording). We will have lightning talk sessions with lightning of max 2 minutes. There is no deadline for the submission of lightning talks. Submissions are handled by “pretalx” and will be reviewed by volunteers from the community.

6 Likes

@mattpiz might be fun to do something about pubgrub?

Yep, I’ve been discussing about it with the other main contributor of pubgrub-rs, since currently all the work is being done in the rust version which is starting to being used by many people for many languages. We are hoping to make it “cargo ready” at some point. But the elm implementation has been stalled (and still contains a bug) for quite some time now. I want to come back to it once we’ve figured out a good way to deal with pre-releases. Anyway, thanks for the reminder @razze !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.