Test help code doesn't compile

I got this Elm code and I’m nto sure why it doesn’t compile

f : Int -> Int -> Int

f a b = a +b + a
1 Like

Test unhelpful reply:

Actually we should add type classes to Elm so that we can use the addition monoid to concatenate integers in a more general way. Or something.

(For use testing out how flagging responses works)

edit edit edit

3 Likes

CODE HIGHLIGHTING!

module Main exposing (main)

import Html exposing (Html, text)

main : Html msg
main =
    text "Hello, World!"

Edit: it’s really fun to see everybody testing things out in this thread :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Neat! I get a message from the system about what happened and what my options are to proceed. Pretty dang cool.

How did you get the highlighting to work? :thinking:

elm = "hello"

It’s the same as fenced code blocks from GFM.

```elm
your code here
```

Since Atwood is involved, I think this is probably going to be commonmark. That’s good! It’s a nice spec.

reply to a reply perhaps ?

So replies to specific posts show up both “inline” and at the bottom, or is that not a general thing?

Seems pretty cool. Better than Google groups. Not a very high bar, but hey.

The inline replies are a little odd. I’ve found it’s clearer to quote reply like this.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a little like slack threads: rather unhelpful, and generally a sign that things are derailing.

Can be. Something we should encourage: if you quote a post, you can spin it off into a new topic and a link will automatically be created. That can keep things organized a little neater.

2 Likes

Testing a reply because I can’t see this whole slack threads thing and I’m confused?

Edit: I feel really dumb. How do I see threaded replies? :confused:

check out Noah’s reply to me above. See how it has my face in the top right? You can click it to expand context.

This is why I think quoted replies or spinning off threads are better :stuck_out_tongue:

THIS IS HTE ONLY THING KEEPING ME FROM USING ELM WHERE ARE THE TYPECLASSES IT SHOULDN’T BE HARD TO IMPLEMENT I MEAN HASKELL HAS IT RIGHT?

Haha:

Thanks for helping me write better posts, Discourse.

Yeah, the reply to a reply is a bit confusing and hard to follow.

Ohhh. That’s… confusing.

Edit: so it kinda opens above, but it’s not recursive (I can’t get to the reply of the reply, as Murphy noted…) :cry:

let’s see what happens if i paste an ellie

Edit: pretty cool but also weirdly small

@brian is there an admin setting for the size of onebox embeds?

1 Like

not that I can find. I’ll ask support.

idk, discourse, seems totally clear to me

Looking good y’all! Looking forward to using this.

1 Like