This may have been seen over on the slack channel, but we are looking to hire an Elm Developer, you can see our job post below.
Are you an Elm developer that’s passionate about developer tooling? ActiveState is looking for developers to level up our front end of the ActiveState Platform. The team is responsible for the user experience of the Platform from the web. We’re creating new ways to manage runtime environments for your development needs.
If you know Python, Perl, or Tcl you’ve probably heard of ActiveState’s language distros. Now we’re building an ambitious language distribution platform and set of tools so that coders can focus on coding and spend less time worrying about dependency hell, third party vulnerabilities, and inconsistent developer environments. We’re doing this for every language and operating system on the planet (and beyond) . We need your help to do it! Best of all you’ll be working on a product that you’ll use yourself daily.
This is a remote-friendly position open to residents of North America. You can also choose to work from our headquarters in beautiful Vancouver, BC.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
You’ll be working on the Platform’s Elm front-end to deliver new features, add new views, fix bugs and optimize performance. Many of the Platform’s features interact with APIs (written in Go) that our team maintains, so you’ll have an active role in updating and maintaining those as well. When working with APIs provided by other teams, you’ll have the chance to contribute and collaborate to make them as useful and easy to work with as possible. Beyond this, we are also in the early stages of a Haskell and graphQL project that consolidates our APIs and makes them useful to a wider audience. There’s a lot to sink your teeth into!
When not working on code, you’ll be meeting with your team to figure out priorities, features, technical issues, etc. You’re someone with good technical knowledge who also has an interest in the end-product you’ll be building.
Our day to day work practices are centered around GitHub, pull requests, code review, CI for testing, and agile development with Jira as our project management tool. We’re always looking to improve our practices and we expect you to help us to do so.
The team is scattered around the US and Canada, so we coordinate with each other and the rest of the company using Slack for chat, Zoom for video calls and screen sharing, Jira, and the Google Suite.
We like to use open source software whenever possible, and we also like to contribute back to the open source ecosystem. We embrace open sourcing both libraries and tools developed in-house as long as those are not mission-critical code.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
- Working for a stable and growing company that offers the environment and personal growth potential of a start-up
- The chance to work with a smart, passionate team of people
- The chance to work on a project that will change the work lives of developers around the world, including your own!
- Competitive salary and bonus
- Comprehensive benefits package and health/wellness credit program
- Real-world experience writing code in Elm or related languages (Haskell, F#, etc)
- Experience with all 3 major operating systems (Linux, macOS, Windows)
- The ability to write well-tested code with clear documentation
- Excellent writing and speaking skills
- A willingness to engage in the process of defining our work through conversations with product management, other engineering teams, and the rest of the company
- The ability to help others on the team become better at their jobs through mentoring, thoughtful code reviews, and generally being a team player
If you have experience with any of the following please make sure to highlight it in your cover letter:
- Large Single Page Apps in Elm
- API design, especially with GraphQL
- Other functional programming languages, including Haskell
- Microservices and message queues
- Experience building both web-based and desktop-based software
- Docker, Mesos, Kubernetes
- Creating parsers, compilers or code intelligence systems
- Reactive, event based systems
- Low level architecture (sockets, primitive data types like in C) and libraries/tools (e.g. debuggers)
ActiveState has a collaborative, respectful, and professional culture. We’re all about working together to find the best solutions, and making sure that the experience of doing so is positive for everyone involved. There is a commitment from the CEO on down to making work at ActiveState a great experience for all of us.
Our company is a team of 68+ and growing, with 2/3rds of the positions in technical roles. We maintain a set of core, overlapping hours, but we’re flexible with specific start and end times and are understanding about appointments and life events. While we have great office spaces in Vancouver, Canada, we’re very distributed and remote first.
Our vision is to have an ActiveState solution on every device on every planet, so we certainly aren’t lacking ambition! But even though we’re ambitious we don’t expect work to become your life. We know you will do your best work in a positive environment free from death marches. For more about working at ActiveState and our Glassdoor rating go to www.activestate.com/careers.
If you’d like to apply, you can do so here: Elm Developer at ActiveState
We are committed to creating a welcoming environment for everyone at ActiveState and we welcome applicants from all walks of life.
Even if you don’t feel you meet every exact requirement, we still would love to hear from you and why you think you would be an awesome addition to our team and we encourage you to apply.