Just gushing happiness -- Thank you Evan Czaplicki

I discovered Elm about 2 months back, most probably in Nov 22. Ever since then, I’ve been gushing happiness.

Thank you Evan Czaplicki for creating Elm, and thank you to everyone who has brought Elm to it’s present shape. I want to shout on top of the world Elm! Elm! Elm!

This graphic https://soshace.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/oop-vs-fn-comics-homer-simpson.png seems so apt. Functional programming seems so much more saner than OOP.

I’m not using Elm for UI and DOM manipulation right now, but for pre-processing, rather the core processing in my app actually. Then displaying the processed data using D3.js – which is still my earlier JS code. Still in the process of recoding my earlier core logic JS to Elm.

Earlier, as I added features to my app, it felt that the app is becoming more and more fragile, instead of intelligent. Now there is feeling of building something more solid. Thank you so much.

Before Elm, I redid a lot of the code to TypeScript and tried to make the code well structured as per OOP, but the app was still buggy. Adopting Functional Programming and Elm makes the mindspace so clean and clear.

50 Likes

Thanks for reminding me why I’m here too :laughing: living in it everyday, I do lose sight of it sometimes

16 Likes

Just tagging @evancz to make sure he sees this lovely message.

13 Likes

What does your app do? Would be very interested to know.

3 Likes

@jxxcarlson Thank you for your interest in my app.

It takes a poem and displays the rhythm inherent in it via a DataVis so that the poet may refine her lines from a structural point of view. So if the user gives the following couplet
ज़िन्दगी के मोड़ पर यह प्यार का नाता हमारा।
राह की वीरानियों को मिल गया आखिर सहारा।

The output is

which shows that the couplet is well formed, has 28 units of rhythm (called Maatraa in Hindi) in each line.

The app currently exists only for the Hindi, Marathi and Nepali languages here
https://geet-gatiroop.manaskriti.com

19 Likes

Very nice, even though I don’t speak Hindi, etc. Good to see Elm used in such a totally new way.

One can push a button to read the text part of the app in English. What one sees is that this site is a tool for poets.

In which line of the poem there is how much quantity - the song motion tells this. This makes it clear exactly where the errors are in the verses. Knowing this, the poet can correct the errors by changing the words.

It is very important for a rhymed poem that there should be no errors in the verses. A rhymeless poem should also have an implicit rhyme so that the sense of rhythm is maintained. Rhythm is as important in poetry as rhythm is in music.

There are also facilities related to free verse in song tempo.

Knowing about rhythm in poetry is the initial knowledge of poetry.

This goes far beyond what I’ve seen in poetry sites on the web. Would be interesting to see a tool like this in English and other languages.

PS. Of course the AI translation posted above is not so great — but you get the idea.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.