What happened to elm-hot-loader?

I use elm-hot-loader in a smaller Elm app (video-audio-sync) and it works great for me. In this particular app the HMR is especially useful since I’m dealing quite a bit with files (from <input type="file">) which don’t survive page reloads.

I noticed that elm-hot-loader has been marked with “No longer maintained!” on GitHub, and the repo has been “archived” into read-only mode. Does anyone know why? Is there anyone else who get a lot of value from it? Or does everyone else have showstopper issues with it or something?

Is anyone interested in taking over? I might be. But before diving in I’d like to hear from the community so I’m not missing out on some fundamental flaw that makes the project not worth doing or so. Thanks!

5 Likes

I still use the code every day without issues. But would be great if someone was maintaining it as webpack can be a moving target

Just dropping my 5 cents here, I have just tested it with Webpack 4 in combination with webpack-serve. Works great!

However, future updates will be needed as soon as Elm 0.19 will show up on horizon.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know that it works in webpack 4 as well. Now I can do that upgrade without fear :slight_smile:

I’ve never heard of webpack-serve before (I’ve always used webpack-dev-server). Is it a new project? What’s the difference to webpack-dev-server? Will it eventually replace webpack-dev-server?

You are welcome. :blush: Yes, webpack-dev-server went into maintenance mode, so webpack-serve is its official successor.

There is no real difference from user perspective except for the browser limitation as webpack-serve uses websockets to push updates and requires a browser which supports them. The configuration is a bit easier however, there is even real possibility to avoid it at all. Also, integration with CopyWebpackPlugin went smoothly, without any problems which happened in earlier versions. My overall impression is very positive.

From what I read about both packages, the difference is mostly architectural. Over years webpack-dev-server accumulated some hacks to support older browsers and it was pain to maintain them all. So they came with webpack-serve which is faster, smoother, leaner alternative and utilizes modern approaches.

A bit too much writing probably but hopefully somewhat helpful. :blush:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.